The Excel Center is a unique, tuition-free adult charter high school that awards industry recognized certifications and high school diplomas, not GEDs, to adult learners 18+ in Arizona.
Understanding that many students may come into the program with varying skills having been out of the classroom for some time, our courses are designed to meet students where they are regardless of level. Students will progress and earn credits in four (4) ten (10) week terms held year-round.
How is The Excel Center different from other adult high school programs?
- We award a high school diploma rather than a GED (General Equivalency Development Test) or HSE (High School Equivalency) Diploma.
- We offer industry-recognized certifications and college credit courses.
- Kids Excel, a free on-site child drop-in center is also available for enrolled students while they are attending class.
- Transportation assistance provided to eligible students.
When do classes start?
New ten (10) week terms are added continuously on a rolling basis.
Contact the front office for future start dates. (602) 535-4401
What is the admission process?
- Complete the Student interest form on the website. You will be sent an email with details on when the 10-week term begins along with the school schedule. You will be contacted by the front office team and/or you can call the school for details on the enrollment process at (602) 535-4401.
- Acceptance of enrollment is on a first come first serve basis, by priority enrollment, and if capacity is available.
- After enrollment documentation has been provided and confirmed, you are enrolled and ready to move onto the next steps to prepare for your first day.
- You will be contacted via email to be scheduled for an orientation.
- Attend Orientation (About 2-3 hours)
- Shortly before each term begins, we host an orientation for students. During orientation you will get a tour of the campus, obtain ID badges, discuss course schedule, and meet the teachers and faculty. Orientation is not mandatory nor tied to enrollment status, however it is highly recommended for student’s success.
What are the hours of the The Excel Center?
Our student hours are 8:45 AM – 4:25 PM, Monday – Thursday with Fridays available for independent study and to meet with your Career Coach and/or Instructor.
How long will it take for me to get my high school diploma?
- The time it takes to complete the program varies from student to student.
- The standard education track is made up of 4 ten-week terms.
- Each term is 10 weeks long.
- The amount of time depends on the number of high school credits a student has upon enrollment and what courses they are able to take based on their short registration assessments.
- For example, a student with some credits may finish sooner than a student with no credits.
How long are the classes?
- Each class will be 100 minutes or 1 hour and 40 minutes a day.
Are there night school options?
- At this time, The Excel Center will offer the majority of classes during the day. As the need of students are evaluated, evening classes will be scheduled.
Do you offer online courses?
- At this time, The Excel Center only offers in-person classes.
How old do you have to be to enroll in The Excel Center?
18 years old with NO age limit.
If I already have my GED, can I enroll to earn my high school diploma?
- Yes, those with a GED are welcome to enroll at The Excel Center to pursue a high school diploma.
When is childcare provided for Excel Center students?
- An on-site drop in childcare center is available for enrolled Excel Center students is only available while the student is physically in class.
- Childcare is based on availability.
What industry recognized certifications do you offer?
- Currently The Excel Center offers credentials in IT, Medical, and Manufacturing. With more being added upon student need.
- We are working with Coursera, Ed2Go and our Community Colleges in the area.
- Industry recognized credentials may change at any time.
Will there be security at The Excel Center?
- Yes, there will be a full-time security on location during instructional hours, and on Fridays when students are not required to be in the building.
What if I have a criminal record?
The Excel Center does not discriminate against individuals with prior criminal histories. If you are listed on a sexual offender registry, staff will need to be informed to ensure the proper precautions and processes are taken as there is an on-site daycare.
Where is The Excel Center located?
- The Excel Center is located at:
4837 E. McDowell, Phoenix, AZ 85008
- Phone: (602) 535-4401
- Website: excelcenteraz.org